Monday, July 30, 2012

Singing Verses

You may remember, I wrote before that my main focus this year was to have a consistent time of Bible study with the kids.  Part of that includes our Hymn Study and our Scripture Memory.  I'm happy to report it is going well.  There are times, like this week, that we'll miss a couple of days of Bible because I won't be there, or I'll be sleeping due to work. But, for the most part, I have been sure to make this the last subject we skip, instead of the first.  I do that just as much to remind me that God's Word is more important than math, as it is to show the children that God's Word should be a priority in life...

Several years ago I was blessed (and have been many times) to hear Pam Tebow speak.  One of the many gems I picked up from her was that they put their memory verses to music.  What a cute idea, right?  Well, my son absolutely loves this idea too and is such a great help at coming up with song suggestions and helping me to fit the verse into the song.  Now, sometimes the verses are short, and we just use motions.We are using Simply Charlotte Mason's Scripture Memory System to keep reviewing our verses and it is working really well!  SO, we've taken two great ideas, and combined them!!!  I thought I'd give you a list of verses that fit easily into some popular kids' songs.  There are others that aren't as easy to fit, so this will not be an exhaustive list of verses that we have done, but some of the easier ones.  Maybe you can have as much fun as we have!

Tip: I write/type the verse on one side of the index card, and put the title of the song we use on the back.

Phillipians 2:14-16 (Jingle Bell Rock) *repeat 1st line at the end.

Ecclesiastes 12:1 (The Birdies in the Treetops)

Acts 2:17 (Jesus Loves Me)

Luke 11:13 (Keep Walking- from Veggie Tales)

Psalm 46:1 (God is so Good)

John 4:24 (Pizza Angel- from Veggie Tales) *speak the address at the end

Colosians 1:16-17 (Keep Your Tongue From Evil...which is another verse!)

Psalm 56:3-4a (Big Bad Wolf)

Psalm 22:28 (3 Blind Mice)

Revelation 4:11 (Doe a Dear) *This verse fits such that you sing it twice and the second time through starts at so (a needle pulling thread).  I really like this one!

Judges 5:3 (Jingle Bells)

Deuteronomy 6:18 (Row Row Your Boat)

1 Samuel 16:7b (London Bridges) repeating the words so that the first sentence is verse 1 and the 2nd verse 2.

My personal favorite:  The Great Commission fits perfectly into.... Yankee Doodle!  Matthew 28:19-20


*Disclaimer* Some of these verses were put to songs by one of our very talented teachers from CBS.  Others my son and I did. 

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment